Re: Habsheim accident

Date:         10 Sep 98 03:04:15
From:         cp@panix.com (Charles Platt)

Ralf Sipple (Ralf.Sipple@t-online.de) wrote:
> My opinion is that whatever the management says ("Make it spectacular") and
> the plane's performance and fancy systems are, a pilot has to take all that
> in account and operate the plane accordingly. In this case he has deliberately
> sacrificed safety for a cheap show.

This may or may not be true; we can only speculate. What interests me is
whether the maneuver was practiced beforehand. Seems to me, if I was going
to do a demo with a risk of failure, I would run through it a few times
before the audience arrives. Does anyone know if this is standard
procedure in air shows? Is there a script, or does the pilot (literally)
"wing it" at the event? If the pilot is free to improvize, this would
explain why so many crashes have occurred at so many air shows, over the
decades. It would not explain why manufacturers allow the situation,
though.