Re: 747 wing flexibility

Date:         10 Sep 98 02:08:18
From:         "Michael M. McCormick" <michael.m.mccormick@boeing.com>

MARKWRK wrote:
> I heard once that a 747 wing is designed to flex in turbulence up to 6
> feet at the tip (3 feet up, 3 feet down). Does anyone know if this is
> correct and where I might find the facts on this. I checked the Boeing
> site and was unable to find anything.

I spent a bit of time looking around the internal web for info and
couldn't find anything.  I recall that the 777 wing failure test bent
the wings up something like 17 feet before they broke (this *after* the
full life cycle fatigue test).  But that's just my memory and that's
been known to fail before!  Sorry I don't have a real answer for you.