Re: AF Triple Seven double Engine Trouble at Tenerife

Date:         09 Sep 98 04:12:31
From:         "S.L." <look@the.sig>

Trevor Fenn wrote:
> > "Ah, yes ... the dreaded 7 engine landing!"
>
> may not be as easy as it sounds, have you ever noticed how small the
> rudder is on a B-52?
>
> I once read that two engines out on the same side of a B-52 is cause for
> abandoning the aircraft.

Not even CLOSE, according to my friend who flew both the B-52G and
B-52H. In fact, it wasn't all that uncommon to virtually lose 2 on one
side on a takeoff run in the "G" model.

"How do you 'virtually' lose two?" I asked him. His answer:

Takeoffs on the J-57 powered B-52G were frequently made "wet" (water
injection on). Water injection automatically shuts down if N1 drops
below a certain threshhold (somewhere around 90% I think). The old G
models were notorious for having the throttles vibrate backward on a
takeoff run. Once a throttle crept below that magic value, off went the
water injection on that engine *and* the one it shares an underwing pod
with... so 2 engines on one side would lose their water injection, and
therefore a huge portion of their thrust rather suddenly. The same thing
happened if one engine actually failed on takeoff- its pylon-mate would
lose water injection.

According to my friend, this was cause for a lot of grumbling and
possibly foul language (although my friend has probably never spoken a
harsh word in his life- extreme cool-headedness must come with flying
the BUFF) in the cockpit, perhaps a chastisement for not keeping a hand
on the throttles, and a little bit of tap dancing with the controls, but
not much else.

--
Stephen Lacker
slacker@arlut.utexxas.edu (Remove the extra 'x' to mail me)