Re: Airbus P305

Date:         09 Sep 98 04:12:14
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc*@cmdnet.lu>

cNhOuSaPnAgMa@cris.com wrote:

> > - Is there a market for a shortrange WB
>
> Boeing and Airbus combined have sold around 500 B767-200s and A310s
> of which most are of the long range versions.  The B757-300 is
> supposed to cover part of the shorter range B767-200 market.  At this
> time, the stretched B757 seems to have very limited market appeal.

The biggest disadvantage of the 753 compared with a widebody is for sure the
long handling time at the gate.

>  > - I read somewhere that AI might even launch the A322 (an A321 with the
> > beefed P305 wing), which could then compete with the 757. Two
>
> This one I have not heard.

I heard it from inside ... AI.

> > subquestions :
> > -- is this technically possible (one same wing for a widebody and a
> > narrowbody)
>
> Don't know.  However, I would think a P305 wing would be too big for
> the A321.  Doesn't make much sense.

My initial question was mainly focussed on the fact that this would be
another compromised wing design (like on the 330/40). Having a short range
wing on the A305/P305 and putting it on a long range A322 wouldn't be
optimal.
If this P305 wing is -- say 4 frames larger at the fuselage/wing box but not
higher -- than today's A320 family wing, is the main requirement a fuselage
plug or do you have to redesign the whole area ?? It should be pretty similar
to the A340/A340NG and B737/B737NG wing upgrades.

Any thoughts ?
Marc Schaeffer, Luxembourg  mailto:marcmsc@geocities.com
WWW  http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8803/
The DE HAVILLAND COMET website http://surf.to/comet