Re: Airbus Safer?

Date:         02 Sep 98 01:08:19
From:         "Russell Farris" <russf@prodigy.net>

Eberhard Lammich <lrt11563@rpool16.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote in article <airliners.1998.1324@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> On 18 Aug 1998, Don Stauffer wrote:
> > How about all those A320s that flew themselves into the ground with
> > their FBW fancy autopilot?  Flight crew shouldn't have to have
> > doctorate in computer science to enter go-around mode from approach mode.
>
> Perhaps time is over for John Wayne with wings. The pilot is a  bus
> driver with higher salary, that's all.
> As long as autopilots are not designed by Microsoft ("Pull up, pull up!
> Are you sure? -Yes- -No-") Airbus and Boeing aircraft (Yes, Boeing uses
> computers, too!) will be quite safe.

While I respect Eberhards opinion, he obviously doesn't understand what
the job is all about. As a pilot who is currently qualified on the 767 AND
the DC-3, I'll have to remember the bus driver analogy the next time I'm
shooting a non-precision approach on a stormy night to a 6,000 foot runway
with a gusting 30 knot crosswind and no lead in lights. No computer in the
world can cope with that one...nor could a bus driver, with all the
implications that entails. I love the FMC in the 767, but to treat the
pilot like the weakest link in the safety chain is flat out wrong...keep us
in the loop! Russ Farris