Re: 767-400 "a different type"?

Date:         02 Sep 98 01:08:14
From:         "john r." <john@guava.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1998.1318@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Chris Dahler
<dahler@iglobal.net> writes

>> The Boeing glossy I saw was short on facts about what was behind the
>> side by side nav and pfd displays, the old system I suspect.
>
>The side-by-side nav/pfd arrangement you saw for the 767-400 is the same
>arrangement used in the 777 and the 737NG aircraft.  The displays can be
>configured as either a 777-style mimic (with altimeter and airspeed tape
>displays surrounding a large attitude display), or they can be configured to
>mimic the old 757/767 style, with a round-dial presentation of the altimeter,
>airspeed indicator, RMI, and vertical speed indicator on the screens.  This
>display format will allow the preservation of the common type rating.

The 747-400 and 777 flight decks are similar, what drives the them, the
electronic systems, are totaly different.
This need not concern the pilots too much and I guess it would be
possible to adapt older designs to have a common operation and display
without the total redesign needed to have common driving electronics.

We have only just got our 747-400's working well, are struggling with
the 777 (somtimes, though its getting better), lets leave well alone.

--
john r.  on the ramp, keeping them flying