Re: Habsheim accident (was: Re: Airbus Safer?)

Date:         02 Sep 98 01:07:57
From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>

Every so often the Habsheim crash rears its ugly head again,
and every time most of the people get a lot of the facts wrong.
Michel Asseline, the pilot, has written "Le Pilote Est-il Coupable",
his own account of the events. He points out several factors other
than technical ones which led up to the crash, and to the resulting
deaths.

There was enormous political pressure from government level
down to make the A320 a conspicuous success. Asseline was
under personal pressure, since he was the chief training
pilot in Air France, the "reference airline" for A320 sales.
Both he, and the aircraft that crashed, were removed from a
busy schedule to perform the fly-past at the Habsheim flying
club's annual air show.

Air France took the decision to provide a fly-past at the
request of the air show organisers. They did so in order to
take advantage of a great opportunity for publicity, but it
was also a commercial transaction. The air show paid a hefty
fee to Air France, who further increased their profits by
filling the 'plane with day-trippers. None of this was due
to any decision by Asseline.

The schedule was tight, and this was the reason why no proper
briefing on the airfield was given to the crew. In fact, there
was no briefing. An AF operative simply left a black-and-white
photocopy of a coloured original map along with brief written
instructions. There was no time to visit the airfield on foot
first and reconnoitre.

The flight was planned: first pass at 100 feet, flaps and gear
down, nose-up attitude, low speed (deliberately to demonstrate
the ability of the FCS to maintain safe flight close to stall).
The second pass was to be at 300 feet, level attitude, clean
configuration, high speed (so the crowd could say "Wow!").

The first pass took place at 30 feet because the baro-altimeter
was giving a reading 70 feet out. They did not know about the
trees because of the lack of pre-flight briefing, monochrome
map (the trees were in green on the original) and lack of a
pre-flight visit.

At this point, there is usually a big row because all the pilots
on the list ask how the hell an experienced pilot could mistake
30 feet for 100 feet. I'm not getting into that one again right
now, but Asseline does offer an explanation in his book.

For a detailed account of the crash, see my paper "CAD:
Computer-Aided Disaster" and/or Peter Ladkin's website.

Asseline has not yet gone to jail, but he is about to
exhaust the appeal procedures. (Watch this space for further
details.)

Pete Mellor, CSR, City University