Re: A 777 with four engines.

Date:         25 Aug 98 00:53:44
From:         lstone@wwa.com (Larry Stone)

In article <airliners.1998.1304@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "Neil Gerace"
<geracen@nospam.wantree.com.au> wrote:

>If a reverser suddenly deployed on a four engined plane, the loss of lift
>which caused the uncontrollability of OE-LAV would still occur, but wouldn't
>the crew have more time to sort it out? There is still one engine on that
>wing holding it up.

Huh? Engines do not produce lift, airflow over the wings produce lift.
Engines produce thrust and give the plane speed through the air which in
turn produces lift.

The problem with an engine failure (or worse obviously, a reverser
deployment giving us negative thrust) is the asymetrical thrust (center of
thrust not on the aircraft centerline) and the resultant yaw. The limiting
factor is then how much rudder you have to counteract that yaw.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@wwa.com
   http://www.wwa.com/~lstone/