Re: 757 climb rate (was: Concorde Climb rate ?)

Date:         23 Aug 98 14:34:04
From:         malc@mci2000.com (Malcolm Weir)

On 19 Aug 98 16:01:34 , Frank Jenkins <fjenkins@Savantics-Inc.com> caused to
appear as if it was written:

>> >Concorde     5000 fpm climb rate
>> >B757            2500 fpm climb rate
>> >B767            3500 fpm climb rate
>>
>> The 757, as overpowered as it is, can only manage that climg rate????
>
>This is anecdotal, but a UAL 757 captain I know claims that he regularly
>pegs the R/C meter at 6000fpm on climbout.

Obviously, without some additional definition, these numbers are fairly
useless.  For example, climbout for the B757 from SNA is extremely rapid for
the first 1,000ft, then it virtually stops for a while as a result of noise
abatement procedures.  One could argue, therefore, that the B757's climb
rate should be the number applicable without noise abatement.

... and this is relevant if one of the aircraft in that list happens to have
afterburners which it normally shuts off immediately after takeoff...

Malc.