Re: A 777 with four engines.

Date:         23 Aug 98 14:34:01
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc*@cmdnet.lu>

James Matthew Weber wrote:

> I also seriously doubt that statistical evidence supports the assertion
> that 4 engines are safer than 2 in a currently certified commercial
> aircraft. How many crashes of twins have we seen where the number of
> engines had anything to do with the crash? I can only think of one, Lauda
> Air over Thailand...

So you assume that if the reverser of engine 1 or 4 on a quad would have
failed, there would have been no crash. It seems possible and even logical,
but:

- has it ever occured in flight on a quad (not speaking of reversing #2 and 3
on DC8s before touchdown)
- has it ever been tested during flight test (I seriously doubt it ;)
- can it be prooven math wise (torque of the engines applied to the centerline
of the a/c)

Marc Schaeffer, Luxembourg  mailto:marcmsc@geocities.com
WWW  http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8803/
The DE HAVILLAND COMET website http://surf.to/comet