Re: A 777 with four engines.

Date:         23 Aug 98 14:33:59
From:         spagiola@my-dejanews.com

James Matthew Weber <m.weber@duc.com.kw> wrote:
> Let me point out a counter argument. More engines do mean more in flight
> shutdowns, which means more attention to that shut down and a distraction
> from the real business of flying the aircraft. This may well make 3 and 4
> engine aircraft LESS safe, especially given that such failures have become
> so rare.

A possible counter-counter-argument is that since the crews of twins are so
unlikely ever to encounter an in-flight shutdown, they may panic if they do,
thus making them LESS safe than three+ engined aircraft, whose crews are more
accustomed to the event.

Just to point out that this kind of argument doesn't really get us very far.

Stefano Pagiola
--
All opinions are my own.
Check out my web site at