Re: Boeing craziness (was Re: 767-400 "a different type"?)

Date:         23 Aug 98 14:33:53
From:         JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@videotron.ca>

H Andrew Chuang wrote:
> was indicated as a possible future growth.  Obviously, the B777 development
> was much better than expected that Boeing skipped the B-market and jumped
> to the B-plus-market B777 directly and renamed it IGW (increased gross
> weight) which has since been renamed again to ER (extended range).

I think that all this renaming and changing of priorities is what is
causing confusion.  What is exactly a 777 "today" ?

However, if a large company such as Boeing can turn around on a dime and
re-adjust its priorities based on changes in the marketplace, that
should be viewed as a good thing, even if it causes confusion.  Heck, if
their CAD and manufacturing processes have been tuned to the point where
it is possible to build individualised 777 planes for each customer
(without much cost), then this would be a tremendous asset to Boeing.
(Look at the success of DELL computers which even Compaq will try to
emulate with its "build to order" systems.).

The Asian crisis is showing how quickly a marketplace can change. Boeing
is reacting to this.

If you have an architecture (777) which is flexible enough to allow you
many different variants to be produced cost effectively and quite
rapidly, then in this day and age, you'll have an edge on your
competition.

Right now, I see the 777 programme as a chef which just built a huge
restaurant with a huge kitchen with expectations of being an incredible
overnight success. But with the asian crisis and some competition,
Boeing isn't getting as much as it had hoped for. As a result, it is
offering a variety of new menus to see which one would attract
customers. When it finds a menu that is popular, it will then start
cooking it up in its state of the art and flexible kitchen.