Re: pre-Farnborough comments [long]

Date:         23 Aug 98 14:33:50
From:         Evan McElravy <evanm@penn.com>

>>BA (replace 10s and 763s)
>
>Why would you expect BA to replace their 767-300(ER)s?  The newest was
>delivered just 18 months ago, and the oldest is less than nine years
>old.  With their oddball Rolls-Royce engines (China Yunnan's three
>examples are the only other 767s with RB.211s), BA's 767s probably have
>a very low second-hand value.
>
>>BA will choose again the 777 even if they may change the engine supplier.
>
>Anybody have a conjecture on whether BA will pick the Trent or the
>PW4000 -- or decide to stick with the GE90 after all?

Rumors I've heard is that the GE90 is almost definitely out. As for which of
the remaining two competitors gets it, your analysis of BA's 767 fleet could
yield the answer: BA likes RR engines. Remember the outrage when they
ordered the L-1011 instead of the A300 to get RR engines? Still, BA is savvy
and wouldn't buy the RR unless there were some compelling advantages. But
judging from the 777 orders of late, the Trent must offer some definite
advantages since it seems to be the engine of choice in a number of
important orders: Delta, AA, and (I believe) Continental. Those are all
significant victories (commonality with the RB211s - except Delta - on the
757s, maybe?). But as someone mentioned, it is never wise to second-guess
BA.

BTW, has anyone other than BA had any troubles with the GE90? They seem to
have had awful luck with them, from what I've heard. How are Air France's
behaving?

Evan McElravy
evanm@penn.com