Re: Airbus Safer?

Date:         19 Aug 98 16:01:36
From:         m.weber@duc.com.kw (James Matthew Weber)

On 06 Aug 98 23:37:17, Karl Swartz wrote:

>>It seems like Airbus Aircraft are alot safer than Boeing aircraft.  You
>>don't hear of FAA reccomendations concering Airbus...
>
>>What do you guys think?
>
>I think you haven't been paying attention.  If by "FAA reccomendations"
>(sic) you mean airworthiness directives (ADs), you can find a list which
>is allegedly complete for all ADs issued on or after January 1, 1996 at
>
>   http://www.fedworld.gov/pub/faa-cai/faa-cai.htm
>
>I counted 14 for the 737 and 17 for the A321 (plus one which covers the
>A319 and A321 but not the A320).
>
>Looking at the bigger aircraft, there are three covering the 777, 17 for
>the 747, 5 for the MD-11, and 8 for the A340 (5 of which also cover the
>A330; there is an additional AD which covers just the A330-301).
>
>It seems to me that Airbus incurs a ADs at a rate comparable to Boeing,
>so by the metric of "FAA reccomendations" (sic) there's not much
>difference in safety between the products of the two manufacturers.

I think I'd be much more interested in the accident rate, based upon
both Flight hours, and flight operations.

In terms of flight operation the A320 tended to stand hand and
shoulders above the rest (as in a high accident rate). There have been
numerous accidents with A320's on approach and landing. D10's don't
fare all that well either. More D10 hulls have been lost in such
accidents than 747's and L1011's combined (even counting the efforts
of China Airlines)....

On this basis, my recollection is the 727 turns out to be safest
aircraft in the sky. If you measure in terms of flight hours, I think
the 747 wins. It's been a few years since I saw current numbers
however, I do remember that at that time, the A320 was more than  an
order of magnitude more 'dangerous' than 727.

My thoughts anyway...