Re: Concord Climb rate ?

Date:         19 Aug 98 16:01:33
From:         Tom Turton <tturton@cowboys.anet-dfw.com>

Karl Swartz wrote:
> In article <airliners.1998.1258@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Terence Liow wrote:
>On 18 Aug 98 01:04:35, Tom Turton <tturton@cowboys.anet-dfw.com> wrote:
> >>Concorde     5000 fpm climb rate
> >>B757            2500 fpm climb rate
> >>B767            3500 fpm climb rate
>
> >The 757, as overpowered as it is, can only manage that climg rate????
>
> I was on a UA 757 flying SFO-LAX a few years ago and, listening on
> channel 9, heard our pilots request a higher altitude.  ATC granted
> the request on the condition that we could do at least 3000 fpm --
> we could, and as I recall gave them better than 4000 fpm.  So, I
> seriously doubt the accuracy of Tom's numbers.

Boys, boys, boys -
I never claimed those to be MAX climb rates - only representative
numbers as published in an FAA document.  It is my "assumption" that
those are probably nominal climb rates that the aircraft can "always"
make (high weight, close to cruising altitudes??).   Obviously, a
lighter weight airplane flying on a nice crisp clear day at lower
altitude, can probably burn through those numbers.  I merely posted them
as a starting point - hoping that someone else might have a source of
better data than mine (i.e. a flight ops manual).