Re: How come... (fwd)

Date:         19 Aug 98 16:01:31
From:         MD80 International Forum <md80forum@dlc.fi>

>Why do you often see DC-9s/MD-80s parked with their thrust
>reversers open at holding areas, cargo ramps, gates, etc?

I posted your question to the MD80 Pro Mailing List. The reversers are
deployed for long-time parking or in strong wind conditions to cut airflow
that would cause the engine to free-wheel. For shorter periods the engine
is designed to lubricate even without oil pump output, but longer parkings
may wear the bearings if the airflow is not shut down.

Said a Spirit Airlines Captain on the list.

Jan-Erik Andelin
MD80 INTERNATIONAL FORUM

                 http://surf.to/md80
 Gamla stigen 10 C 5            phone +358-19-584 622
 06100 Borga, FINLAND           fax   +358-19-584 633