Re: A 777 with four engines.

Date:         18 Aug 98 01:04:42
From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>

Recently I asked:-
> I would like to raise again a
> thorny old topic, i.e., to what extent might the fact that the
> engines are controlled by the same FADEC render the A/C prone to
> multiple engine failure due to the activation of a latent design
> fault in the FADEC?

Before everyone jumps down my throat, I would like to clarify my
question. I am well aware that there is one FADEC per engine.
When I said "controlled by the same FADEC", I meant the same
*design* of FADEC (including the same software in each FADEC,
and in each channel of each individual FADEC).

Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability, City University, Northampton
Square, London EC1V 0HB, UK. Tel: +44 (171) 477-8422, Fax: +44 (171) 477-8585
E-mail: p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk, Web: http://www@csr.city.ac.uk/