Re: Airbus Safer?

Date:         18 Aug 98 01:04:29
From:         Boeing707@worldnet.att.net (levelflight)

On 06 Aug 98 23:37:16 , Darryl Morrison <tdcm@istar.ca> wrote:
>It seems like Airbus Aircraft are alot safer than Boeing aircraft.  You
>don't hear of FAA reccomendations concering Airbus...
>
>What do you guys think?

I think that your statement is totally incorrect.
Aside from the A300, most Airbus products flying right now
are less than 15 years old. Also dont forget that about 80% of the
world's airline fleet is comprised of Boeing airplanes; this means
that when there is an incident or accident with an airliner,
it's about an 80% probability that it will be a Boeing airplane
involved.
One of the main reasons that Airbus is winning so many orders
away from Boeing right now is that Boeing has so much work
on their order book they cant keep up with production. I work for
USAirwaysin FLL on the ramp and I was disappointed when our
company chose Airbus over Boeing. The mainstay of our fleet is
- and has been for years - the Boeing 737 (-200/-300/-400). These
airplanes have a dispatch reliability of over 99%. And our 757 fleet
is even better than that.
As to FAA orders on Boeing products - ADs and Advisory Circulars
and such...note that almost all of them cover older Boeing products...
747-100's and -200's...some of these airplanes are almost 30 years
old. As models become older and older...ADs and ACs become more
and more common - this is logical because the older a machine gets,
the more maintenance it needs. Airbus does not have any airplane in
the air that is as old as the 747-100 or the 727-100.
So, lets all come back here 25 or 30 years from now and see if the
FAA is issuing ADs or ACs on A320s or A310s that are 30 years old.
I bet they will be (if these airplanes are still flying).
Dont get me wrong: I am in no way knocking Airbus. They do
produce a fine airplane. USAirways initial ground training for
the new Airbus order we made recently indicates to me that
the airplane has superb craftsmanship and is made with great care.
I look forward to working these airplanes but will still be awfully
sorry to see the Boeings go away. Dont forget the old pilots
line: "they build muscle into those airframes in Seattle".

Oh, and dont forget Boeing's favorite line:
"IF ITS NOT A BOEING...I'M NOT GOING!!!"

Regards
Ken
Boeing707@worldnet.att.net

and such