Re: Airbus Safer?

Date:         06 Aug 98 23:37:17
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>It seems like Airbus Aircraft are alot safer than Boeing aircraft.  You
>don't hear of FAA reccomendations concering Airbus...

>What do you guys think?

I think you haven't been paying attention.  If by "FAA reccomendations"
(sic) you mean airworthiness directives (ADs), you can find a list which
is allegedly complete for all ADs issued on or after January 1, 1996 at

   http://www.fedworld.gov/pub/faa-cai/faa-cai.htm

I counted 14 for the 737 and 17 for the A321 (plus one which covers the
A319 and A321 but not the A320).

Looking at the bigger aircraft, there are three covering the 777, 17 for
the 747, 5 for the MD-11, and 8 for the A340 (5 of which also cover the
A330; there is an additional AD which covers just the A330-301).

It seems to me that Airbus incurs a ADs at a rate comparable to Boeing,
so by the metric of "FAA reccomendations" (sic) there's not much
difference in safety between the products of the two manufacturers.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com