Re: B777 Central Maintenance Computer?

Date:         06 Aug 98 23:22:59
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1998.1114@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "eagle 1"
<elmont@ibm.net> wrote:

> Just need some info.
>
> Does the B777 have a Central Maintenance Computer as an option for airlines
> to order, similar to the one installed on the B747-400?

I believe a CMC is standard on every 777 delivered.  What is optional is
the number and location of terminals for the Portable Maintenance Access
Terminals which allow mechanics to access the CMC from a variety of
locations in or under the airplane.  The 777's CMC along with its BITE
(Built-In-Test-Equipment) and fault isolation system represents quite an
advancement over the 747's system.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if
the 747's system has by now incorporated many of the improvements
introduced on the 777.

We recently interviewed the maintenance director of an Asian 777
operator.  He told us, "We also operate the Airbus A320, which is a very
advanced, computerized airplane.  The A320 can identify which system has a
problem.  But the 777 can identify which PART has a problem.  This makes
it very easy for us to keep the airplane flying."

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane