Re: Accidents caused by cigarette smoking

Date:         06 Aug 98 23:22:54
From:         keenan@idirect.moc (Martin Keenan)

In article <airliners.1998.1163@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Peter Stanning <peters@lowarth.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>The CAA were quoted in yesterdays Daily Telegraph as saying that no
>aircraft accident had ever been caused by cigarette smoking seem to
>remember a 707 crash in France caused by a fire in a toilet.This was
>some years ago now but I thought the fire was caused by a cigarette.

        Although I don't know if smoking was ever *definitely* proven to be
the cause, it was at least suspected in the fatal crash landing of Air Canada
DC-9-32 C-FTLU at Cincinatti on June 2, 1983.  The investigation was one of
the major causes of Air Canada banning in-flight smoking back in the eighties.

--
Martin Keenan
Reverse letters in "moc" to respond