Re: Accidents caused by cigarette smoking

Date:         06 Aug 98 23:22:53
From:         "Mario Leite Fernandes" <mariolf@uol.com.br>

> The CAA were quoted in yesterdays Daily Telegraph as saying that no
> aircraft accident had ever been caused by cigarette smoking seem to
> remember a 707 crash in France caused by a fire in a toilet.This was
> some years ago now but I thought the fire was caused by a cigarette.

It was Varig  Boeing 707-345c PP-VJZ (c/n 19841); the plane crashed July
1973 in a cabbage field near Orly airport, in a Rio de Janeiro-Paris
flight. Smoke from plastics burned by a back toilet fire, started by a
cigarette, filled cabin and intoxicated passengers and most of crew. There
were some survivors, including most of cabin crew (far from source of
smoke, were able to open windows). Sorry my poor English. Regards

Mario Fernandes
(mariolf@uol.com.br)
Vargem Grande Paulista - SP
Brasil