Re: A 777 with four engines.

Date:         06 Aug 98 11:26:34
From:         "Larry Sakurai" <medfordite@email.msn.com>

spagiola@my-dejanews.com wrote in message ...
>"Richard Rea" <rrea@xmission.com> wrote:
>> Does anybody know of a case where a plane was controlled successfully
>> using asymmetric control of the engines?

>AA DC-10 over Windsor, Ontario, in the early 1980s? The basic problem was
>similar to that of the THY DC-10 just a little later: ie loss of the aft
>cargo door and damage to the cabin floor and, as a consequence, to the
>controls. The pilots used asymmetric thrust in getting the plane down (at
>Detroit, if memory serves) without further damage. But I don't recall how
>severe the damage was, and whether there was in fact total loss of
>hydraulics. Anyone?

You're right, Stef.  In 1972, 21 months before the THY incident, AA Flight
96 had a similar incident.  The collapsed floor jammed the control cables,
but they still had hydraulics.  The rudder was jammed full left, and the
captain had to apply ailerons to compensate for the yaw.  With no control
over the rudder, the crew used asymmetric thrust to control the airplane.
The crew also had some control over the elevators, albeit it took a very
heavy hand to move the elevators.  This contrasts to the Sioux City
incident, where the crew had no hydraulics, and no control over any of the
moving surfaces.  But while the AA crew was successful in landing their
plane, they couldn't keep it on the runway and came to rest half on and half
off the runway.