Re: A 777 with four engines.

Date:         06 Aug 98 11:26:32
From:         "S.L." <look@the.sig>

Richard Rea wrote:
> Does anybody know of a case where a plane was controlled successfully using
> asymmetric control of the engines?

I can think of at least 2 involving the B-52. One is the rather famous
incident where a B-52H lost almost the entire vertical empennage in
severe turbulence and yet landed successfully (I've seen the photo of
the tail-less plane still in the air, with gear down, in numerous
books.)

Another incident that I've never seen written up anywhere involved a
friend who was a B-52 pilot (I'm sure there are MANY such incidents
involving military aircraft). At the time of this incident, he was not
yet the aircraft commander, and it was a slightly older B-52 (G model, I
believe- still had J-57's instead of TF33's).  The incident was not
unlike the Sioux City DC-10, in that it was a near complete loss of
hydraulic power. Unlike the DC-10, they were able to stay aloft a *long*
time and converse with ground crews and Boeing engineers about how to
proceed. They landed using asymmetric thrust and they popped the 'chute
early in the roll in order to keep the tail behind the nose where it
belongs. They still bounced hard enough to crack the airframe, but they
landed on the runway and in (mostly) one piece.

--
Stephen Lacker
slacker@arlut.utexxas.edu (Remove the extra 'x' to mail me)