Re: Recent incidents

Date:         29 Jul 98 00:29:39
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>I guess it was on a single engine for some time as this must be mid
>atlantic (anyone care to estimate this based on the great circle
>route?).

The great circle route for GRU-CDG passes almost directly over Tenerife
(GCXO), and pretty close to Cape Verde (SID) and Lisbon (LIS):

   http://www.chicago.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=GRU-CDG,GCXO&RANGE=120min@(SID,GCXO,LIS)&RANGE-STYLE=outline

Using a 757 engine-out speed of 389 kts, SID and LIS are both about 120
minutes flying time from GCXO, so if all three airports were available
and GCXO was the closest, then they must have been less than an hour
out for a 757.  Unless the 777's engine-out speed is signifcantly worse
than a 757's (I'd expect it to be better), the flying time should have
been well under an hour.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com