Re: airbag anyone??

Date:         20 Jan 98 01:29:59
From:         "Thomas A. Beckley" <beckley@sprintmail.com>

>I saw a short TV report a few weeks ago about airbags in aircraft.
>Development for such system is already done - but the system looks
>quite different to that installed in cars: The airbags have to be
>blown up "manually" by a central switch in the cockpit in case of an
>emergency. So there will be no time span of milliseconds but rather
>minutes. And the airbags stay blown up.

Sounds like such a system would be more to keep everything in place in the
event of a mishap, rather than to cushion an impact as is the case in car
accident (Although such a system would obviously cushion an impact also).

These days one of the biggest dangers in any sort of airliner mishap would
have to be carry-on bags.  An airbag system could protect the occupants from
carry-on bags and other objects that would be flying around the cabin of the
aircraft in the event of a mishap.