Re: An-124 and wing dihedral

Date:         19 Jul 98 22:07:20
From:         Trevor Fenn <trevfenn@nospam.required.erols.com>

MechB747 wrote:

> >I'm no engineer either, but I recall this concept from my ATP study.
> >Most large airplanes have what's called a Zero Fuel Weight, a weight
> >beyond which you cannot add more passengers or cargo - you can
> >only add fuel.  I imagine it's based on the bending forces that will be
> >present where the wings (lift) meet the fuselage (non-fuel load).
>
> A FedEx MD-11 pilot I talked to said  MZFW has to do with the wing bending
> between the fuselage and the landing gear while on the ground

Doesn't make a lot of sense. If that was the case you would have problems upon
landing where you would still have the same weight in the fuselage as on
takeoff but very little weight in fuel in the wings. For the FedEx pilots
information to be accurate surely you would always have to land at a weight
above the zero fuel weight so that the bending moment was not exceeded.

Zero fuel weight limits are not only in the domain of large aircraft, many
light twins as small as the Piper Seneca II have a Maximum zero fuel weight
limit.

Trevor Fenn
trevfenn@erols.com