RE: A 777 with four engines.

Date:         11 Jul 98 03:00:17
From:         MCLELLAN Alexander <alexander.mclellan@eurocontrol.be>

KLS wrote:
>Since the BAe-146 has a still air range of only 1,300 miles (according
>to AW&ST's Source Book), ETOPS isn't much of an issue.  That's why you
>don't generally find more than two engines on regional aircraft.  From
>what I've heard, the 146 has four engines simply because when it was
>built, four of the ALF502 engines were more efficient and closer to the
>thrust requirements for the plane than two of anything else available.
>Neither safety nor ETOPS had anything to do with it.

ISTR that the (then) HS-146 was designed for STOL and quiet operation
- for example at London City Airport, where both are required.

Regards

Alex.
This message does not constitute official EUROCONTROL correspondence.
The Organisation is not responsible for its contents or the consequences

of its use, nor for inaccurate transmission or misdirection.