Re: A 777 with four engines.

Date:         11 Jul 98 03:00:16
From:         tschell@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Terry Schell)

"Neil Gerace" <geracen@wantree.com.au> writes:
<snip>
>The BAe 146 is a small plane. Planes that size don't need four engines
>but it has them for extra safety and to bypass ETOPS restrictions.

I don't think there is any evidence that the BA146 has 4 engines to
avoid ETOPS or for an extra safety margin.

>Why does the A340 exist when the A330 is the same size and has only
>two engines? To exploit the greater freedoms in the rules which planes
>with more than two engines enjoy.

Well, I think the four engine variant was made because they knew they
couldn't increase the 330 payload or range using the existing engines,
and they couldn't get an engine manufacturer to create a new, larger
engine. It is only since the introduction of the 777 that Airbus has
been touting the non-ETOPS nature of the 340.