Re: AF Triple Seven double Engine Trouble at Tenerife

Date:         11 Jul 98 03:00:15
From:         "Chris Hall" <hall@airborne.demon.co.uk>

Thomas J. Bueld wrote:
> For me it is for shure that the development of Mega size Engines will
> become People Killer ...

> How long will public kept in the dark about the risk in choosing such
> aircrafts ? Any comment ?

Thomas, IMHO the risk of simultaneous double engine failure on any twin jet
aircraft is very unlikely. Most jet engines will keep running and generating
thrust even with some considerable damage as long as fuel is being squirted
in.

In EROPS operation it is not often that the aircraft is at 180 minutes from
an airfield, often it is considerably less. Also, once one engine is shut
down for any reason, then the crew will be VERY reluctant to shut the second
one down whatever warnings come up.

The new megathrust engines will suffer from teething problems as with any
new technology, but I would not hesitate to fly with them.

Chris Hall