Re: Pratt & Whitney radial question

Date:         11 Jul 98 03:00:12
From:         Kees de LezenneCoulander <lezenne@compuserve.com>

faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure) wrote:

>Does anyone in the group know when the Pratt & Whitney R-985 Wasp Jr.
>went out of production?  My reference books say the engine was introduced
>in 1929 but outside of saying thousands were produced during WWII they do
>not give an end-of-production date.  Thanks.

     As far as I know production of this engine ended at the end of WWII,
and all aircraft using this type since then have relied on war-surplus
stocks. This includes large numbers of Beech 18s and DHC Beavers.
Production of engine spares was transferred to Pratt & Whitney Canada at
some stage. If you can get hold of a copy of "Power: The Pratt & Whitney
Canada Story" published by CANAV Books in 1989, you will find numerous
references to this situation.
                                  Kees de Lezenne Coulander
--
  C.M. de Lezenne Coulander
  Amsterdam-Zuidoost

  Aircraft Development and Systems Engineering B.V.
  Schiphol-Rijk, The Netherlands