Re: 757 flap restriction

Date:         06 Jul 98 03:24:37
From:         "Russell L Farris" <RUSSF@prodigy.net>

Yves E. Hoebeke <yhoebeke@sprynet.com> wrote in article <airliners.1998.738@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> I am currently studying for my DX certificate. I choose the B757 as the
> aircraft for it.
>
> Anyway, the aircraft manual states not to use flaps above FL200.

Every jet airliner I have flown (DC-8, DC-10, B-727,B-767/757 and Fokker
F-28) has the 20,000 foot altitude restriction on flap extension. My
understanding is that the FAA during certification only requires flap
demonstration to FL200 during the flight tests, it's just a number really.
Since the manufacturer is only required to show safe flap operation to FL
200, the restriction exists in the flight manual as an aircraft limitation.
Hope this helps