Re: Northwest's DC-10's

Date:         06 Jul 98 03:24:33
From:         malc@mci2000.com (Malcolm Weir)

On 01 Jul 98 02:42:22 , Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang) caused to appear
as if it was written:

>In article <airliners.1998.956@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
>EHaase2463 <ehaase2463@aol.com> wrote:
>>The June issue of World Airline Fleets states that Northwest estimates
>>a 42 year life for 173 of its DC-9's and an even longer life for its
>>DC-10's.  The article indicates that the DC-9's may last for 15 more
>>years and that DC-10 could fly 23 more years.  Is it desirable and
>>realistic for a major airline to keep its aircraft for so long?

>NW made the statement during a time when Boeing and Airbus are heavily
>pitching the B717 and A319M5, respectively, to NW.  I think NW is
>trying to tell the manufacturers that only if the price is right will
>NW considering purchasing a 100-seat replacement.  After all, NW
>has another 15 years to make a decision (as the study shows), while
>the B717 desperately needs a reputable customer and Airbus refuses to
>let Boeing get too much ahead in the 100-seat market.  NW is no doubt
>in the driver's seat.  I seriously doubt NW will keep the DC-9s for
>another 15 years (i.e., I think NW is bluffing).

What would the operating economies of a DC9 dragged into Stage 3 compliance
look like compared to a new build aircraft?  What are NW's options and
obligations regarding Stage 3?  As far as I know, there is a hushkit
developed for the things by ABS Partnership, but I don't know how many DC9s
need this...

Malc.