Re: Grounding of 777's?

Date:         01 Jul 98 02:42:41
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>When we arrived at DIA last night, (Thurs. 06/18/98) there were long
>lines at the UAL customer service counters.  Later, on the RTD bus, I
>overheard UAL employees discussing the fact that the FAA wanted all 777s
>grounded immediately for a software problem.  Anybody know what's up?

According to the info I have, the problem appeared after a routine
update to the navigation database in the FMC, provided by Honeywell.
The update resulted in the FMC being unable to compute performance
parameters such as takeoff speeds.

After determining that none of the updates were relevant to routes
flown by United, FAA permission was received to temporarily revert to
the previous month's version of the database.

Delays of up to two hours were reported, and one flight diverted.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com