Re: An-124 and wing dihedral

Date:         01 Jul 98 02:42:37
From:         jordmkair@aol.com (Jordmkair)

>Technically, I don't know if you could load the aircraft to MTOW without
>filling the wing tanks because the floor beams probably couldn't handle
>all the weight that would be loaded onto them to get to MTOW,

I'm pretty sure you CAN'T load a large airplane to MTOW without fuel in the
wings.

I'm no engineer either, but I recall this concept from my ATP study.  Most
large airplanes have what's called a Zero Fuel Weight, a weight beyond which
you cannot add more passengers or cargo - you can only add fuel.  I imagine
it's based on the bending forces that will be present where the wings (lift)
meet the fuselage (non-fuel load).