Re: Pilot's Braking Options

Date:         01 Jul 98 02:42:34
From:         Scott Decker <sdecker@esg.intel.com>

Charles Platt wrote:
> I have the impression that on some landings, a pilot may apply a whole lot
> of braking force in order to slow down enough to take an earlier turnout
> from the runway. A couple of times, coming into Newark on Continental (an
> airport/airline combination that I have become very familiar with, over
> the years) I've felt the brakes go on very hard, and we _just_ make it
> into a turnout that probably brings us back to the terminal a minute or
> two more quickly than if we slowed more gently and proceeded farther down
> the runway before turning off it--which is what normally happens. More
> recently, into Phoenix in a 737 on AmericaWest, the braking was the
> hardest I can remember, AND the thrust reversers were used extensively,
> right up till the last possible moment when the aircraft turned off the
> runway. (This was not because we were near the end of the runway; we were
> barely past the halfway mark.)
>
> Is this all just a figment of my imagination, or are some pilots sometimes
> in the habit of using heavy braking to avoid a more lengthy route from the
> runway to the gate?

Just a thought on this subject, but sometimes, ATC will space A/C a
little to close for their comfort and ask the pilots to exit the runway
as soon as practical. I listen to ATC a lot and have heard this along
with getting another A/C off to meet a flow time for an IFR departure.
Years ago, I flew in to Reno on Frontier A/L's on 737-? and I remember
watching the gates then the GA ramp go by still off the ground.  About
the time I watched the tower go by, I think the pilot said, "DOWN you
BEAST" and that we did. I don't remember how much runway was left, but
I watched a magazine that was on the floor go by at about 70+ MPH as he
hit the breaks. (I think the pilots feet were smoken too) At that point
I wasn't sure if I would need a cab to get a ride back to the airport.
All and all I think we were that close to a go-around and what I think
got the whole thing started was the wind. If you don't know Reno, the
wind can be a real ^&*$$&^* for pilots and I think this guy did a great
job. BTW, he did use thrust reversers to the very end.

--
Scott Decker  AKA: PadMasterson
        Praegitzer Design On Location at