Re: A 777 with four engines.

Date:         01 Jul 98 02:42:31
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Besides, doesn't a civilian single-jet aircraft exist already? I saw a
>picture of one recently, it had the intake above the rear part of the
>fuselage. and the exhaust under the tail, like a 727.

The only single-engine civil jet transport I can think of is the
Visionair Vantage.  At least I think that's the name.  Burt Rutan and
Scaled Composites are a major part of the program.  It has a pair of
intake scoops at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, though, not a
single intake above the fuselage like the 727's #2 engine.  It's also
just a prototype, undergoing development flight testing.

Make that fixed-wing civil jet transport -- I'm sure there are plenty
of examples of single-jet civil helicopters.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com