Re: A 777 with four engines.

Date:         01 Jul 98 02:42:29
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

Garry Forrest <garryf@soca.com> writes:
> One of the biggest cost drivers for jets are -- the jets.

<snip>

> The folks who buy and operate engines think less is better. If we could
> figure out how to strap a single engine to a fuselage, believe me we'd
> do it. (But where would you put the revenue bodies?)

I think you're leaving out another factor: efficiency. I believe
bigger engines have lower specific fuel consumption. So an aircraft
with four engines, each of 50,000-lb thrust, will always be less
economical than a similar one with two 100,000-lb thrust engines,
other factors being equal.

--
-Stephen H. Westin