Re: Northwest's DC-10's

Date:         01 Jul 98 02:42:22
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)
Followups:    1 2 3

EHaase2463 <ehaase2463@aol.com> wrote:
>The June issue of World Airline Fleets states that Northwest estimates
>a 42 year life for 173 of its DC-9's and an even longer life for its
>DC-10's.  The article indicates that the DC-9's may last for 15 more
>years and that DC-10 could fly 23 more years.  Is it desirable and
>realistic for a major airline to keep its aircraft for so long?

NW made the statement during a time when Boeing and Airbus are heavily
pitching the B717 and A319M5, respectively, to NW.  I think NW is
trying to tell the manufacturers that only if the price is right will
NW considering purchasing a 100-seat replacement.  After all, NW
has another 15 years to make a decision (as the study shows), while
the B717 desperately needs a reputable customer and Airbus refuses to
let Boeing get too much ahead in the 100-seat market.  NW is no doubt
in the driver's seat.  I seriously doubt NW will keep the DC-9s for
another 15 years (i.e., I think NW is bluffing).