Re: Questions from a Newbie...

Date:         28 Jun 98 18:47:54
From:         mechb747@aol.com (MechB747)

>1.) How fast are typical jets going just before you take off. I
>usually try to fly Delta's 767s out of Hartsfield for business, and
>I've always wondered just how fast we are going down the runway.

...On a 737 rotation is around 130kts+ (150mph?)  Climbout is around 160,
accelerate to 210, then flaps up, then the FAA max of 250 below 10,000 feet.
Above 10,000 or the class B airspace climb is 280-320 kts.
Most airliners operate at about the same landing speeds, but the widebodies
with highly swept wings like the 747 and DC-10 are a little faster, I think.
(The 777 can go as slow as a 737 due to it's large flaps.)

>2.) How about landing?

...About 135kts, but all speeds vary with weight.  Approach speeds are in the
area of 170-210kts (6 or more miles from the airport, limited to 250kts under
10,000')

>3.) Someone once said Hartsfield has one of the longest runways in the
>world. How long does a runway have to be to accomodate a 767 to
>landing? I understand there's a minimum, but on the average?

Landing: 5,600'
Takeoff: 7,900'

>4.) Is it possible, as a layman, to see the cockpit during flight? I
>do some free-lance writing and have been offered a story involving
>business travel and nearly everyone I question about the story wants
>to know if they can see the cockpit? Do they ask a flight attendant?
>Write the airline in advance? Barge in during a coffee break? <g>

...I Wish!  The FAA doesn't allow this.  :-(   you'll have to fly outside of
the U.S.

>5.) I live in Northeast Atlanta and frequently see decending jets over
>our apartment complex...although I can't tell how high they are...and
>was wondering f they always use the same flight path when decending.
>Once in while, I notice they don't seem to be flying over very
>frequently.

They will be landing and taking off into the wind, so they change direction,
and if the airport has runways at different angles to each other they may use a
differrunway depending on the wind.  I'm not familiar with your airport or how
far out from the airport you are, but there are often a couple different
published approaches.

Matt
Student Pilot  5.6PIC "Airline Pilot in Training", 747-400 Assembler.
http://members.aol.com/mechb747...under construction...