Re: DH Trident

Date:         28 Jun 98 18:47:49
From:         Andy Weir <andyweir@compuserve.com>

>My question for the newsgroup: Why did the UK authorities wait so
>long to require CVR's (long after the FAA did)?

Because the powers that were, namely BOAC and BEA, which merged later to
form BA, were unwilling to bear the expense. They had fairly recently
installed FDRs and did not want to repeat the revenue losses involved in
installation, taking planes off-line, etc. According to a former head of
the Air Accidents Investigation Branch, he and his colleagues "beat our
heads against a brick wall" trying to get CVRs introduced, but the airlines
successfully lobbied the Transport Ministry to prevent it. Then came
Staines, and resistance folded.