Re: Boeing and Long Beach...

Date:         28 Jun 98 18:47:40
From:         Colleen M Wabiszewski <colleen.m.wabiszewski#064#boeing.com@mail.mdc.com>

>I was wondering, now that the only Douglas line Boeing has decided to
>keep open is the 717, do they not have a much larger capacity now?  With
>this added factory capacity, can they not add production there of more
>popular aircraft? Therefore reducing delays in delivery and current
>congestion in their current plants?  Since the MD-80/90 and MD-11 are
>gone, cant they start a new line for 737s (regular production ones, not
>just special types as they have said), could this give them an advantage
>over Airbus when making delivery promises? I'm sure they are already
>thinking along these lines, sure beats keeping those plants empty.

Boeing is investigating the use of the Long Beach facilities for 737
production work, however, I do not believe it would be feasible to move
an entire line here in the immediate future.  The MD-90 and MD-11 lines
have been discontinued, but this does not mean that the airplanes are
"gone."  Production and delivery of both of these aircraft is scheduled
to continue well into the year 2000.  One might assume that the
production difficulties in Puget Sound will have been resolved by then.
However, there are interim solutions which might be helpful, such as
conducting final assembly of the 737 in Long Beach.  Customer-specific
configurations slow down the production line quite a bit, therefore, it
would be quicker (and cheaper) to produce a line of "plain vanilla" 737s
in Seattle and then fly them to Long Beach for installation of
interiors, galleys, and customer-specific options in the flight deck.
This would take advantage of the skilled production workforce as well as
factory space.

Colleen Wabiszewski
717 Systems Engineering