Re: Development of MD-11?

Date:         28 Jun 98 18:47:39
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

 <spagiola@my-dejanews.com> wrote:

>Along these lines, I was surprised at how uncomfortable Cathay Pacific's
>economy class is on the A330. Although they have one of the best economy
>class seats I've ever experienced, they jam them in so tight that when the
>seat in front of you reclines, it completely jams you in -- there's simply no
>way to get out, if you're not a contortionist, without having the person in
>front lift his seat back. Here too, it seems to be a case of giving all the
>space to the folks in front.

I guess not being tall is not that bad after all.  ;-)  For Cathay, the
seating in the A330 is a great improvement over the L-1011 which the
A330 replaces.  (Cathay's L-1011 was configured with ten-abreast
economy seating instad of the usual nine-abreast one.)  Cathay's A330 is
used mostly on regional routes, and East Asians are on the average
smaller.  Perhaps, that's why Cathay use the tighter configuration to
maximize its revenue without annoying the majority of its customers.

P.S. Cathay's new B777-300 are configured with 3-3-3 economy seating
instead of the 2-5-2 which is used on Cathay's B777-200.  Cathay
claims the new configuration was chosen for cabin crew convenience!

P.P.S. Cathay is seeking potential customers to lease the four
B777-200As that it owns.  The -200A and the A330 cater to nearly
the identical market sector.  Having both in the fleet simply doesn't
make too much sense.