Re: Slower aircrafts ?

Date:         28 Jun 98 18:47:36
From:         "Udayan V. Bhapkar" <ubhapkar@erols.com>

Frank Muenker wrote:
> I was recently on a Delta B767-ER (-200 I think) flight from Frankfurt to
> Cincinatti and the flight time was almost 10 hours. I could see on the
> monitors that the average cruise speed was only about 480 mph which is
> fairly slow compared to the 550 - 570 it could go. Also on 2 other

rest clipped...

If the displayed 480 mph is ground speed, or radar track speed, then it
would be affected by the wind speeds.  Across the the Atlantic, it is
common to see Westbound speeds some 100 mph lower than Eastbound speeds
due to the prevailing winds.  That alone could account for the
discrepancy you observed.

Udayan