Re: Gimli Glider

Date:         16 Apr 97 01:55:59
From:         doering@xrayspex.nlm.nih.gov (Larry Doering)

>>Are there any other instances of a commercial airliner running out of
>>fuel mid-flight? I know of the Avianco 707 inbound JFK, any others?
>
>There's also the Overseas National Airways DC-9-33F (operating an ALM
>Dutch Antillean Airlines flight) which ran out of fuel and ditched in
>the Caribbean on May 2, 1970.

Don't forget the United Airlines DC-8-61 that went down 6 nm from
the runway threshold at Portland (Oregon) International Airport
on December 28, 1978.  The crew became preoccupied with a landing
gear problem, and spent more than an hour holding near the airport
while they tried to troubleshoot the problem and prepared the
passengers for an emergency landing.

ljd