Re: Boeing 777 - Totally Irresponsible?

Date:         04 Jan 97 03:55:52
From:         boyd@france3.fr (Boyd Roberts)

In article <airliners.1996.3063@ohare.Chicago.COM>, dmarble@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu says...

>One that sticks in my mind was a complex
>weight/balance/weapons release subsystem that did not check to see if
>the aircraft was in inverted flight before releasing pylon-mounted
>bombs under the wings.

Well this is exactly the sort of risk that badly designed FBW introduces.
If I, the pilot, want to do something outside of the normal flight envelope
I should have the right, because, when I want to do it, it is probably
indicated.  Multiply redundant voting systems can argue till they halt.
The pilot should always have the final say, like is says in the doc: PIC --
Pilot In Command.  Systems that second guess are just broken.

--
Boyd Roberts <boyd@france3.fr>                        N 31 447109 5411310

``Not only is UNIX dead, but it's starting to smell really bad.''  -- rob