Re: B-777 Double Decker???

Date:         16 Apr 97 01:55:57
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.935@ohare.Chicago.COM>, dcoon@ksu.edu (David
Alan Coon) wrote:

> A few years ago, POPULAR SCIENCE reported that Boeing had plans to stretch the
> upper deck of the B-747 to the entire length of the aircraft, and it was this,
> they said, that was to be the B-777.

Actually, the first 777 was going to be a three-engine version of the 767
with the 3rd engine in the tail 727-style.  I remember seeing drawings of
it when I joined Boeing in 1979.  The reason for the "777" was to get a
longer range 767 and to comply with the 60 minute rule on flights over the
Atlantic and Pacific.  With the advent of better than expected engine
performance and ETOPS, the "777" was shelved.

I've been told that extending the upper deck of the 747-400 any farther
back would do nasty things to the airplane's handling, and so require
extensive redesign of the tail surfaces among other things.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane