Re: B-777 Double Decker???

Date:         16 Apr 97 01:55:57
From:         "Stephen D. Todd" <stephen.todd@sympatico.ca>

David Alan Coon wrote:

> A few years ago, POPULAR SCIENCE reported that Boeing had plans to stretch the
> upper deck of the B-747 to the entire length of the aircraft, and it was this,
> they said, that was to be the B-777. Imagine my spurise when I saw the photos
> of the first B-777 that was put in service, when it was first introduced a
> while back, a SINGLE DECKER!!!! MD also had plans for such a "SUPER JUMBO" as
> I would call it. Whatever happened to the B-777 DOUBLE DECKER????forgive my
> ignorance (I am a layperson who travels alot by air) is the B-777 200x or 300x
> the Double Decker Super Jumbo? when will such a plane be put in service? How
> will a propsed MD-BOEING MERGER affect the MD plans for the double
> decker....????? Am I correct in my thinking that a B-747-400series has
> replaced the traditional spiral staircase with a straight one and the cockpit
> is mostly digital?

I guess you missed alot of the recent banter around here... The 777 is a
single deck aircraft. Future versions will feature fuse plugs that will
make the aircraft longer, but alas not taller.

Airbus says they are going to build the A3XX (double decker)

Boeing says they aren't going to build the stretch 747-500x/600x

McD D cancelled the MD-12 (double decker) late last year, shortly before
they announced the Boeing merger.

Interestingly enough, in the mid-1960's, Boeing, Douglas and Lockheed
all bid on the C-5 contract. Lockheed of course won. Boeing took the
high wing of their design, slung it under the fuse and called it the
"bet your company" 747. Douglas the history books say, largely ignored
the commercial aspects of the C-5 competition until it lost. In a
quickie re-design they made the airplane into a low wing airliner
featuring 4 engines, seats running the full length of BOTH decks,
something in the range of 650 passengers and they called it the DC-10.
Well as we all know the DC-10 is a single deck aircraft. Airlines,
appalled at the idea of tripling their passenger loads on each flight,
demurred.

If you look at the cutaway of the (original) DC-10, the upper deck
offers 9 abreast seating... no aisles. In those days the marketing folks
at Douglas had some pretty nasty ideas of what mass transportation was
all about. They've come a long way since then.

--

Best Regards,

Steve.