Re: US Airways Fleet Changes

Date:         16 Apr 97 01:55:57
From:         Mihir Pramod Shah <mishah@vt.edu>

David F. Wagener wrote:

> Kinda dumb if you ask me. I have grown to associate the 737 with
> USAir...since they fly just about the greatest number of them. If you ask
> me...the billions to be spent on 400 A-319/320/321 is dumb. Should use the
> money to pick up next-gen 737s and more long range planes (767s and 777s).

Considering US Airways has no Airbus products currently, perhaps you are
somewhat correct in that sense.  However, from what I understand,
because of Boeing's busy assembly line, Airbus was able to offer a
better delivery schedule.  I'm not saying that's the only reason for the
US Airways Airbus order, but it probably was a factor.  I wouldn't be
surprised if some financing "sweeteners" were a part of the Airbus order
as well.  Aircraft manufacturers often do this to attract customers (not
unlike what automakers do with rebates, lease deals, loans, etc.).

Mihir
Mihir P. Shah		   Email: mishah@vt.edu
244 Old Cedarfield Drive   WWW: (coming soon)
Blacksburg, VA 24060	   Phone: (540) 961-7869