Re: Sexy airliners (was: Re: DC-8s in service; no 707s?)

Date:         16 Apr 97 01:55:57
From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>

Filip De Vos wrote:

>> : is the only plane made in the last 40 years that one can
> : say had any sex appeal.  (The previous winner was the super connie).
>
> One word: Concorde.

In another post, I mentioned the CV-990 Coronado as being one of my
favorite looking airliners, and asked if any were still flying. After I
sent that post, I remembered that NASA had once used one to test Shuttle
landing gear performance, and found photos of it on the Dryden web page:

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/PhotoServer/LSRA/index.html

(Wow! those aft-fan GE turbofans are as smoky as J-57s)

To answer my own question, it appears at least one is still flyable-
some photos on that index page are from as late as '95. I don't know why
I think the  CV 990 is so sharp looking. Maybe its the anti-shock
blisters on the trailing edge (which were a kludge to get it to meet its
advertized performance, but still look futuristic), or just the
generally clean lines on a small 4-engine airliner.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029